U.S. Channels: Where are the Producers? 1/2
PIN-POINTING THE GREEN LIGHTS
Where can you find the suppliers to U.S. Factual networks?
- New York?
- Are there other centers of development and production?
Are there different sourcing practices amongst:
- Established channels and digi-nets?
- Documentary and Reality channels?
These questions matter:
- For networks:
- Where should you locate LBA, Development and other resources?
- For producers:
- Where are you most likely to get on the networks’ radars?
- Should you establish offices or representation in multiple locations?
- For young professionals:
- Where is production scaled so that it promises entry level work?
- We surveyed the Upfront and other programming announcements for 2010/2111
- We tracked down the locations of the cited producers
- We put them in 5 buckets:
- New York
- Other U.S. (mainly Washington DC)
- London (usually with an office in LA or NY)
- Other International (mainly Canada and Australia, and usually a ‘player’ like Canada’s Cineflix with a U.S operation)
- Caution: this is a valuable sensitivity analysis: It is based on extensive data. But it is not a comprehensive survey of network schedules
Here are the findings for a sample of 8 of the 25+ channels that we surveyed:
|HQ||LA||NY||Other US||UK||Other Intl|
- Contact us for our mini-study of sourcing by location for 20+ U.S. channels
For more of the context, don’t miss two of our most popular and informative posts:
- Michael Hoff on MHP’s journey from basement to bi-coastal
- Wall to Wall’s Alex Graham at Sheffield Doc/Fest on how a leading UK producer approaches the U.S. market
A SPECIAL THANKSGIVING!
We launched DocumentaryTelevision.com in January to respond to a gap in the market for a source of expert-led information about the business of the global Factual television market.
- We are far exceeding expectations in terms of readership and recognition
- And we’re generating valuable new business
Many friends and colleagues continued to extend their encouragement and support:
- A very special thanks to you this week!!!!!
- More expert contributions: