VOD EXPLAINED: Opportunities, Success Factors & Deal Terms for Netflix, Amazon and VOD Platforms
- SVOD, TVOD and AVOD explained.
- What do Netflix and Amazon pay for programs?
- And other VOD platforms, like CuriosityStream?
- How do their deals differ?
- What are the revshares?
- Do they commission originals?
- Are their deals exclusive?
- What are their filters and targets?
- How can producers sell to them?
- Plus: practical social media marketing ideas for when you have a deal.
Features unique expert analysis from distributor Kinonation’s Roger Jackson and other industry players.
The analysis uncovers the drivers of success across the booming VOD platforms that are disrupting the programming plans of established channels.
Strategic Consulting Services
Consultation on the Strategic Planning, Development, Production, Distribution and Social Media Campaign for Documentaries, Specials and Series
For 30 years, Peter Hamilton Consultants, Inc. has advised leading producers, networks, foundations, investors and governments on their strategies for making the greatest impact with their documentary projects.
Typical contributions include:
- Analyze the strengths & weaknesses of your concept.
- Develop your businesss plan & presentations for funders.
- Define the strategic distribution options for specific projects.
- Plan your attendance at a major market.
- Evaluating potential distributors.
- Arrange meetings with potential partners worldwide.
- Review your creative materials, and much, much more…
In this initial phone consultation and follow up call:
- I will review your project or corporate strategy.
- And provide an assessment with recommended Next Steps.
Sweet Spots: U.S. Factual Networks’ Production Cost Benchmarks 2015-16
Production Cost Benchmarks for U.S. Factual Networks
- What do 30 channels pay for programs?
- For documentaries? And reality series?
- Is our commissioning team paying more or less than our competition?
- Do preferred producers earn a premium?
- Does my pitch fall in the budget sweet spot for my target network?
DocumentaryTelevision.com interviewed dozens of executives and producers to create a unique source of proprietary information about network budgets
How to Develop a Reality TV Hit: The Five Key Success Factors by Stephen Harris
Stephen Harris is Marlon Wayans’ Reality TV Production Partner in Workaholics Entertainment.
Read Stephen’s valuable Five Takeaways on how to develop and pitch a Reality TV hit. He shares the insider information that has helped launch Marlon's successful move into the Reality TV business.
Diary of a U.S. Reality Network Program Development Executive
Veteran Development Executive Stephen Harris Describes How U.S. Networks Commission Factual Programs
A How-to for producers on improving their chances of scheduling pitch meetings with commissioners, and then winning green lights for their concepts.
The Rise & Rise Leftfield Entertainment, Producer of ‘Pawn Stars’
Pawn Stars became the breakout hit for History US that created Leftfield Entertainment, acquired recently by ITV Studios in a $450 Mn deal.
- In 2007, Leftfield produced 1 television hour.
- This year: more than 330!!
Leftfield is the biggest winner of all in the Reality TV boom.
- How was the Pawn Stars concept conceived?
- And how did Leftfield execute so brilliantly?
Our interview-based Case Study analyzes the 'secret sauce' behind Leftfield’s trajectory from a single hit producer to a leading international player with a head-spinning valuation.
Webinar: Getting to Greenlight: Five Key Success Factors for Non-fiction Producers
In DocumentaryTelevision.com’s first Webinar with my special guest, veteran U.S. programmer Ed Hersh, I cover strategies and tactics for improving a producer's chances of success in navigating the network development process. And we'll explore how networks develop concepts from the pitches, through green light to transmission… and what YOU can do make sure you're pitching the right way.
CASE STUDY E-BOOK: Ten Documentary & Reality Projects
Ten Case Studies document key moments in the successful creation of unscripted films and television programs.
We cover concept development, the pitch, the network evaluation process, financing and deal-making, broadcast and theatrical exhibition, and the after-market.
Our Case Studies address both U.S. and international projects, including Australia and Europe. They include hit television series and theatrical films.
Our Case Study 10-pack is a valuable resource for producers, network executives, hopeful new entrants to careers in the nonfiction industry, and students.
Production Budget Template for a Documentary Special, 2016 Edition
By Elizabeth Ventura
Elizabeth is a Senior Consultant in Production Management with years of experience working on documentary and nonficton budgets for US and international networks. Her comprehensive production budget package saves producers time and uncertainty by immediately establishing professional credibility with network production managers. The package includes 35 account categories and many special features, including an Assumptions page and a Schedule Template.