AIDC VOD Takeaways (1/2): The VOD Boom and ABC Australia
“DEMYSTIFYING VOD” was the ambitious goal for our featured panel at this month’s excellent AIDC in booming Melbourne.
The sparkling panelists were:
- Rebecca Heap, Head of Strategy and Digital, iView / ABC Australia
- Sharon Ramsay-Luck, Head of Sales & Business Development, ABC Commercial
- Roger Jackson, Co-founder and COO, Kinonation, Los Angeles
The feedback was that it was ‘mission accomplished’ for our ‘demystifying’ goal.
- We defined the VOD models.
- A lot of light was shone on the global VOD boom.
- We focused on ABC Australia’s digital programming and sales strategies.
- And there were important Takeaways for producers.
I interviewed the panelists right after the session.
- Rebecca shares the ABC’s ‘Digital First’ strategy.
- She describes the ABC’s accelerating but delicate shift from a linear to a dual online/linear channel model.
ABC: Explosion in VOD Sales Worldwide
Sharon describes a climactic, global shift to VOD.
- She predicts that half of her team’s sales will be to VOD platforms within 36 months.
- The ABC’s sales effort draws on its brand strength, quality original programming, and its distribution partnerships with independent Australian producers.
- Roger’s video interviews are here.
Original Analysis for Documentary Producers
Opportunities, Success Factors & Deal Terms
for Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Vimeo
and other VOD Platforms
From DocumentaryTelevision.com with
distributor Kinonation’s Roger Jackson
Read More Here.
Download Now: $29.95
Sunday 3 April, 9.30-10.15
THE RISE OF ONLINE ORIGINALS – WHAT DO PLATFORMS WANT?
Followed by Meet the Speakers
Designed to provide a vision of the global acquisition trends for factual content for the year to come, a panel of leading OTT and SVOD players unveil their business and editorial acquisition strategies, share their success stories and reveal upcoming projects and co-production opportunities.
► Steve Burns, Chief Programming Officer, CuriosityStream, USA
► Greg Diefenbach, Managing Director, Alliant Content / XiveTV, USA @OfficialXiveTV
► Antoine Robin, Founder / President, Spicee, France
► Peter Hamilton, Moderator
Sunday 3 April, 14.30-15.00
HISTORY WITH A TWIST: DRAMA & TECH ROCK DOCS
Dramatic reconstruction and cutting-edge technology give History a unique perspective. Discover how state-of-the-art narrative is rocking audiences as never before and putting History at the forefront of innovative storytelling.
► Isabelle Graziadey, Head of International Sales and Acquisitions, Terranoa, France
► Sally Habbershaw, Vice President, International Programming, Production and Operations, A+E Networks, USA
► Julia Schulte, International Sales Manager, France TV Distribution, France
► Peter Hamilton, Moderator