Documentary vs Reality TV: Who’s Winning the ‘Battle of Google Books’?
Here’s a holiday trivia question:
How frequently are ‘Documentary‘ and ‘Reality TV‘ mentioned in the vast library of Google-scanned books that were published between 1900 and 2008?
- When does ‘Documentary‘ peak?
- After 2000: Is there a vertical curve for references to ’Reality TV‘?
- For the surprising answers, check out Google Books Ngram Viewer
- And read the NY Times to learn more about Google’s great new toy
When we launched DocumentaryTelevision.com in early 2010, our aim was to throw light on the elephant in the room: the business conditions that prevail across the multi-billion dollar global Factual TV sector.
We are now established as a widely-read industry newsletter.
Many, many thanks to our friends, contributors and readers for their active and generous support of our efforts.
The Post you Liked the Most?
- Thank you (!!) Michael Hoff and Hoff Productions for revealing the ups, downs and ups again of a Preferred Producer: Between Basement and Buyout
Watch out for New Year posts on:
- Discovery‘s dicey bet on OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network
- Inside PBS‘s ever-impressive POV strand
- 3D: More Factual commissions but disappointing holiday sales of TV sets
- And much, much more …
Workshop with A&E’s Stephen Harris
January 31, 2011, Washington DC
Getting Your Concept to the Side of the Bus:
A Network Insider’s Guide to
Greenlighting a Factual Program
Improve your chances of success as you learn what’s inside the minds of network executives as they take pitches, buy in to them, promote the strongest concepts to their colleagues, budget productions, and fight for the final sign off.
Australian International Documentary Conference
1 – 4 March 2011, Adelaide, Australia
Documentary Edge Forum
Auckland, New Zealand
25-27 February, 2011
in association with the
One World Film Festival
New Directions in Human Rights Documentaries
11-13 March 2011, Prague, Czech Republic
Watch out for details