Doug’s critically acclaimed, award-winning feature films have screened in dozens of leading international film festivals and have been released in theaters and broadcast worldwide.
- 112 WEDDINGS, a coproduction of HBO, ZDF and ARTE. Opening night of Full Frame Documentary Film Festival and went on to become a worldwide hit, winning major prizes as far away as South Korea, Russia and China.
- THE KIDS GROW UP (Special Jury Prize, Silverdocs) was released theatrically in 2010 by Shadow Distribution and broadcast on HBO on Fathers’ Day, 2011.
- 51 BIRCH STREET, was named one of the Ten Best Films of 2006 by leading film critics, including A.O. Scott of the New York Times, and was selected as one of the outstanding documentaries of the year by the National Board of Review.
- He also directed and produced THE HECK WITH HOLLYWOOD! (1991), the Emmy nominated HOME PAGE (1999; 2019 re-release) and the short THE CHILDREN NEXT DOOR (2012).
In addition to his own films, Doug Block’s credits as producer include:
- SILVERLAKE LIFE (Sundance Grand Jury Prize, Peabody, Prix Italia)
- JUPITER’S WIFE (Sundance Special Jury Prize, Emmy)
- A WALK INTO THE SEA: DANNY WILLIAMS AND THE WARHOL FACTORY (awards at Berlin and Tribeca)
- THE EDGE OF DREAMING (PBS’s POV)
- RESURRECT DEAD: THE MYSTERY OF THE TOYNBEE TILES (Sundance Best Director Prize for Documentary)
- And, currently, FUTURES PAST.
THE D-WORD COMMUNITY
Doug is the founder and co-host of The D-Word, the leading online community for documentary professionals worldwide. He has moderated 22 years’ worth of work and life discussions on The D-Word with doc professionals the world over.