What program or genre will be a blazing success when we make the inevitable economic recovery from these dark weeks?
Well, History can teach us a lesson.
I’m talking about two meanings of ‘History’:
- ‘The study of the past’
- And A+E Networks’ History Channel.
- While the 2008 Recession tore through consumers’ wallets and hopes, programmers knew that there would also be a shift in their viewers’ entertainment preferences.
- History’s team looked to the past, recalling programs that comforted Americans as they navigated the Great Depression.
- They sent out an RFP to producers for programs that linked light comedy, a new appreciation of thrift, big characters, and all this in an entertaining format.
- Leftfield Pictures’ Brent Montgomery responded to the call during a trip to Las Vegas, and the hit Pawn Stars was born.
- Pawn Stars led a post-GFC wave of thrifty and buck-for-nothing cable shows, like Storage Wars.
- Years later, Leftfield was acquired at a valuation of around $450 million.
- I covered the rise and rise of Pawn Stars in great depth in a series of posts.
- We also recorded a Pawn Stars webinar for the New York State Bar Association that was produced by Pamela Jones, Atty.
- The speakers are: super agent Rob Miller, A+E Networks’ Mary Donohue, and Brent Montgomery.
- The post/video package is very relevant today as you ask “What next?”
- It captures the process between network buyers and producers in a stressful time!
- Video highlights follow…
PAWN STARS PANEL
Part 3. Concept & Pitch
- How the Pawn Stars concept was developed and pitched.
- The contributions of History’s Development team, Leftfield, and agent Rob Miller.
Part 4. A Series for Hard Times
- We discuss how History’s development team shaped the series concept using references to hit shows from different eras.
- Was ‘Antiques Roadshow’ a model?
- Mary Donahue was inspired by the appetite for screwball comedies during hard times.
- Brent emphasizes ‘stakes’ and ”the haggle.’
- Watch the video ‘A Series for Hard Times’ here…
Purchase the Pawn Stars Case Study
- You can purchase my in-depth Case Study, including video links to the original pitch reel and the complete Pawn Stars webinar.
- Purchase & Download: The Rise & Rise Leftfield Entertainment, Producer of ‘Pawn Stars’.
- Price: $19:95