China’s documentary sector has been a regular subject of analysis in this newsletter.
The promise of the early years of this century were frustrated by an array of regulatory and commercial factors.
However, I can see that the pendulum is shifting.
- China’s VOD services are actively acquiring select factual programs, and often for impressive license fees.
- A big Chinese delegation is returning to Sunny Side of the Doc.
- Also, China’s state broadcasters are stepping back into coproductions.
At MIPDoc, we enjoyed these welcome signs at the premiere of the NHNZ’s impressive”Big Pacific“.
- This 5 x 1 hour series was coproduced with CCTV9 Documentary Channel, ZDFE, PBS, Discovery International, Channel 9 and Arte.
I will soon post on China’s emerging online video sector.
Back to the topic of this post:
- Below is Content China’s coverage of our Facebook Originals post.
- Read the full story here in Content China, with many thanks to Carrie Ho.