Our topic for this week’s podcast: Measuring demand for FOOD programs in the U.S., UK and Europe.
Sharing her expertise and analysis is Karina Dixon, the Insights Director of Parrot Analytics.
Karina Dixon, Insights Director of Parrot Analytics.
Top Food Shows
In the podcast, Karina surveys the top Food shows measured by audience demand in the UK, U.S. and Western Europe.
And here are the charts that Karina discusses in the podcast. (We abbreviated the Top 10 to Top 5 for each chart.)
A Question re Cross-border Demand?
Steve Nam, Managing Director of Voltage TV Productions (London) wrote to ask why “Inside The Factory”, a UK Program that does not yet enjoy a U.S. buyer, yet it still ranks #4 in the U.S.
Karina and the Parrot team pointed us to this support article.
The short answer is that audiences express demand for TV series irrespective of commercially negotiated rights. News about new TV shows travels quickly, and often audiences the world over are eagerly anticipating the launch of a new series in their country. Our Global TV Demand Report for 2017 (and the latest edition is available here) highlights just how important social media is, for example, in the discovery of new TV shows: Within seconds a consumer in the UK can be notified of a new TV show to watch by their friends in the US – even if it is a “stealth release”.
- Demand Expressions® is the global TV measurement standard developed by Parrot Analytics represents the total audience demand being expressed for a title, within a market.
- Audience demand reflects the desire, engagement and viewership, weighted by importance.
- A stream/download is a higher expression of demand than a ‘like’/comment.
- How to Measure and Value Audiences for Unscripted Programs — with Parrot Analytics’ Courtney Williams
- Trends in How Americans View, Measure and Value Programs — with Byron Media’s Dr John Morse
And more reading in my newsletter:
- Anthony Bourdain: A leader in online engagement across the documentary genre
- Jeremy Clarkson and Parrot Analytics’ methodology
About Parrot Analytics
Parrot Analytics is a data science company that empowers media companies, brands and agencies to understand global audience demand for television content. Wielding the world’s largest audience behavior data sets, the company has developed the world’s only global cross-platform, country-specific audience demand measurement system.
Parrot Analytics captures an unprecedented spectrum of actual audience behavior including video streaming consumption, social media, blogging platforms, file-sharing and peer-to-peer consumption spanning 100+ countries. This enables media companies, for the very first time, to understand audience demand for content across all content distribution platforms in all markets around the world.
Thanks to Parrot Analytics!
My thanks to Parrot Analytics for sponsoring my original coverage of trends in audience analytics. Parrot’s sponsorship enables DocumentaryBusiness.com to thrive as a free newsletter providing valuable context and analysis for documentary and unscripted video professionals.
Original analysis and coverage from DocumentaryBusiness.com
95+ pages, with charts and links