Veteran media industry consultant Ed Hersh returns to my podcast platform to explore the multiple seismic changes shaking the Documentary / Unscripted sector and what producers need to know.
We discuss how the term ‘Perfect Storm‘ captures the confluence of:
- Covid impacts,
- The shift by viewers from channels to direct-to-consumer (DTC) platforms like Netflix and Disney+,
- And the demand for industry change ignited by the death of George Floyd, felt in the need for production teams to diversify, and in story choice and story-telling.
We discuss the cancellation of LIVE PD, and conclude with the positive message that consumers are watching more video than ever before, and that means new opportunities for producers, even as business models evolve.
Podcast: Listen to my conversation with Ed Hersh (20 mins).
- Here is the link to Ed Hersh’s StoryCentric consulting practice.
- His email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Previous Podcasts
- Responding to the Coronavirus: Programming & Production Snapshot. (March, 2020)
- How documentary story-telling is changing in the Netflix Era, and what it means for producers. (January 2020)
- Trends in program acquisition & pitching: We respond to the announcement of the Obama’s output deal with Netflix. (2018).
And don’t miss: Get Ready for the Content Desert! with two veterans, programmer Dan Salerno & producer Michael Hoff.
- Btw, I am a user of Descript for transcriptions, etc.
- Read more here: What Are You Saying With Your Filler Words?