Welcome to my second podcast on the business of the unscripted business.
- Michael Hoff leads Hoff Productions, successfully delivering mainly male-targeted series and specials to dozens of networks for 25 years.
- In my recent popular post, Michael spelled out the evolving high-stakes world of program development.
The Topic: Today’s Pitching Process.
- Network development execs are understandably more risk-averse than ever.
- They require ‘proof-of-concept’ before they advocate for a program with their internal deciders.
- Video pitch materials must do more than spell out the direction of the project: the video must closely resemble the quality of the final deliverable.
- Each video pitch requires a significant investment by the producer.
- And the sizzle is typically tweaked for each new network that is pitched.
Listen here to Michael Hoff
- Program Development & Pitching in the Online Video Economy. Takeaways from Hoff Productions (May, 2018).
- An Independent Producer Manages the Ups & Downs (2015).
- A Preferred Producer Between Basement & Buyout (2010).
Podcast: Obama’s Netflix Deal
My Upcoming Markets & Conferences
SUNNY SIDE OF THE DOC
La Rochelle, France. June 25-28
Panel: “The Future of Pubcasters: Adapt or Die”
NEWF: Nature, Environment & Wildlife Filmmakers Congress
Durban, South Africa. July 16-18.
Director Noel Kok has organized a great program that combines conservation and wildlife film-making.
Make it your reason to come to South Africa. More to come….