TRUE ROYALTY is a London-based subscription video service dedicated to British Royalty.
Co-founder GREGOR ANGUS describes True Royalty as a “clearly-defined interest” or mega-niche.
- His analysis points to tens of millions of hyper-engaged Royal TV viewers.
- They are concentrated in the U.S. and Commonwealth countries.
- True Royalty’s business case was endorsed by U.S. box office results as we spoke: DOWNTON ABBEY was the week’s shock winner, beating out several Hollywood favorites.
Highlights of our conversation:
- Royal weddings are among the most-watched of all television programs, all-time and worldwide
- True Royalty launched in 2018 with 150-200 hours of programs
- Most of the content is from producer Nick Bullen who specializes in royal coverage, and who is a partner in the venture.
- Monthly sub fee: $5:99
- TR is now ordering original documentaries:
- An early greenlight is “Meghan for President?” about Meghan Markle and the issues about which she is passionate.
- New distribution platforms and set-top-boxes like Comcast’s Xfinity X1 platform are expanding TR’s footprint.
- I wondered how True Royalty will compete against Netflix, Prime Video, and now Disney, Apple and other massively-funded streamers.
- I’m impressed with Gregor’s plan and execution.
- His success will establish a commercial model for hyper-niche streaming services dedicated to other highly-qualified documentary genres.
- Listen for yourself!
PODCAST: Listen Now!
$12 Million Funding Round
- True Royalty initial seed-funding rounds raised $7 million.
- A new funding round and wants to raise $12 million.
- The new cash will be used on tech, marketing, and content, in part to expand the geographical footprint of the service including India, and China.
- Read more in Variety’s coverage (October 10, 2019).
“Our intention has always been to go not all direct and not all third-party, but [go for] ubiquity,” he told Variety. “Any TV channel needs to be available where people watch television. Our team is thinking less about being pigeon-holed as SVOD, and that we are a TV channel, it just happens to be streamed.” GREGOR ANGUS
A snip from the True Royalty home page
Many thanks to marketing expert Patricia Frith for introducing Gregor and True Royalty.
- Listen to my recent podcast with CuriosityStream’s Clint Stinchcomb.
- CuriosityStream is the subscription video online service created by Discovery founder John Hendricks to serve the audience that loves classic factual programs.
- Clint outlines his genres (20% Science), hours offered (around 3,000), sources of acquisitions, formats (30% of programs are < 19 mins), typical deal terms, and more.
- Listen here.
More Podcasts on Buying Strategy
- Don’t miss my Sunny Side of the Doc conversations with Science documentary buyers and funders.
- Read more / listen here.
Netflix What You Need To Know Now!
2020 Update Out Soon!!
- I’m updating the study for 2020 now!
- Now 200+/- documentaries in the Netflix database
- Plus new executive contacts at Netflix who buy documentaries.
- Buy the current 2019 version now at a 20% discount and I will send the 2020 update by October 31.