PBS commissions Science specials and series in addition to the NOVA pipeline.
Top 5 Non-NOVA Science:
- PBS’s average primetime rating is 1.41.
- That translates as an audience of 2,116,000 P2+.
Recap: Volume of Originals / Year (Hours / Est)
- History: 70+
- Science: 40-50
- Natural History: 30-40
- Total: 140-160
- PBS combines thematic programs from strands like NOVA with outside commissions to create extended thematic events.
- Space is a major theme for 2017, extending into January 2018 with Black Hole Apocalypse.
- The programs:
Secrets Of The Dead
- History / Science Mysteries blend
- Joined in PBS Space signature theme this season
- Presented by WNET since 2000, inspired by C4 UK series.
- 5 specials / year
- Read more here
More in this series of Posts on the PBS Audience
- PBS Series Ranker: The Audience For History & Science Programs, 2014-2017
- NOVA Tops 4 Million Viewers: The PBS Audience, Trends, Filters, and Recent Greenlights
- The PBS Audience for Science: Non-NOVA Series & Specials
- The PBS History Audience: The Strands
- The Vietnam War from Ken Burns and Lynn Novick
- I’m very grateful to the PBS Programming, PBS Business Intelligence and NOVA teams for providing data and context.
- Thanks also to John Morse, the veteran audience analyst who is my partner in providing our many producer clients with otherwise unaffordable deep ratings data and strategic analysis.
- We help producers understand the competitive landscape for U.S. channels so that they can better pitch new programs and negotiate renewals.
- Read more here about how to get a competitive advantage through our custom audience studies.
- Our sponsor for this series of posts is Archive Valley, the innovative online platform that gives documentary creators convenient access to fresh archive footage sources and to top archive researchers worldwide.
- Read about Archive Valley’s online solutions here.