A remarkable new study from TiVo Research Group captures how binge-viewing is the new normal for U.S. viewers.
- Overall 90% of viewers reported binge-vewing.
- It’s a viewing experience that promotes drama series, like ‘House of Cards.’
- And it undermines viewing of reality series.
- And probably of documentaries and factual specials, too, though these categories aren’t addressed in the study.
This week, we summarize TiVo’s Binge-viewing study.
Defining a Binge
TiVo defines binge-viewing in two different ways.
- Three or more episodes of the same show in one day.
- Watching an entire season (or more) of a specific program over multiple days or weeks (season-binging).
TiVo’s Research Objectives
- Learn how people in today’s marketplace binge-view TV.
- How often do they binge-view?
- What is their primary source for binge-viewing?
- What is their primary device for binge-viewing?
- What is their motivation for binge viewing?
- Binge-viewing trends over the past few years
- Is there a negative perception associated with binge-viewing?
- Learn the specific programs subscribers prefer to binge.
Methodology: Survey of the TiVo Power||Watch Panel
- “The TiVo Power||Watch Panel is an opt-in panel of approximately 30,000 TiVo subscribers whose second-by-second viewing behavior is anonymously tracked on an ongoing basis.”
- “This viewing data is merged with our monthly attitudinal surveys, allowing us unprecedented insight into behavioral habits and television viewing.”
- “12,458 panel members participated in this survey.”
Percent of Viewers Who Have Binged
Sources for Binge-viewing
TiVo’s Key Takeaways:
- Binge-viewing is having a transformative impact on traditional television consumption.
- Viewers tend to binge-view dramas rather than sitcoms or reality.
- The reasons for binge-viewing and the devices utilized are abundant.
- Weekend binge-viewing, losing sleep because of binge-viewing and planning your next binge-view series are all becoming commonplace.
- Binge-viewing is another example of how the consumption of television is evolving thanks to technological advancements like TiVo and Netflix streaming.
To Request the Full Binge Study
For further details regarding our Binge Survey, please send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
And there are additional highlights in the TiVo press release.
Many thanks to our friends at TiVo Research Group for sharing the study.
The Rise of Netflix and SVOD
- Read our unique coverage of the exploding SVOD market here.
- How much will Amazon spend on video?
- What is the online retail giant’s strategy?
- ‘What does Netflix pay?’ is here.
- Discovery founder John Hendricks launched CuriosityStream which was a big presence at MIPDoc: Watch my brief interview with Elizabeth Hendricks North.
- Roger Jackson’s Secret 19-point SVOD Marketing Plan.
- And: The ‘false hope’ of Leo Dicaprio and Netflix at Thessaloniki Doc Fest.
- Takeaways from Sunnyside of the Doc located in superb La Rochelle.