Netflix and Amazon Prime famously don’t disclose their viewing data.
- We don’t know how many subscribers are watching documentary and unscripted programs.
- Or how their audience breaks down, for example by gender, age, education and income.
- And how do the hit, binge-watched scripted series compare with the unscripted audience on the OTT/Netflix platforms?
The lack of data is a great frustration to both producers and distributors who are pitching the platforms. It also frustrates the network programmers who are competing with them for concepts and talent.
My partner Dr John Morse has been researching ways to get around the platforms’ big, beautiful walls in order to provide our readers with a glimpse of U.S. audiences for key online programs.
- In this post, John shares the findings of a GfK-MRI 2018 survey of the Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu audiences for a selection of hit scripted programs.
- He compares them with The Grand Tour, Amazon Prime’s Jeremy Clarkson / motorhead series.
- Its the only unscripted OTT/SVOD program covered in the survey.
Here are several data points that captured our attention. All findings are for “Watched Last 30 Days.”)
U.S. Household Subscribes to:
Note: Many homes subscribe to multiple services.
Watched last 30 days
|The Grand Tour||Prime||3,705,000|
|Orange Is The New Black||Netflix||16,350,000|
|The Handmaid’s Tale||Hulu||5,987,000|
|The Man In The High Castle||Prime||3,586,000|
|Orange / Black||37%||63%|
|Orange / Black||66%||2%|
Education & Income
|Orange / Black||38%||39%|
|Orange / Black||74%|
- The GfK-MRI survey also covers factual series from several channels including Discovery, History, Nat Geo and Bravo.
- The channels’ 30-day viewing compares favorably with for our selection of hit series.
Watched last 30 days
|Wicked Tuna||Nat Geo||11,302,000|
|Million Dollar Listing||Bravo||7,585,000|
IMPROVE YOUR PITCH
- Producers, distributors and funders: If you are developing and pitching a special or series for Netflix, Amazon or the channels, we will improve your pitch by providing detailed analysis of your potential buyer’s audience.
- Contact me (email@example.com) to engage Byron Media‘s John Morse and me to provide you with a full analysis.
- Because access to audience data is costly, our service is available to industry participants of scale.