Sixteen Copro Case Studies
Concept, Development, Pitch, Deal, Budget, Funding, Production, Post, Delivery, Distribution, Takeaways
Each of these sixteen Case Studies tells the unique story of the development and execution of a quality coproduction:
- Stormborn (A $1.5 Mn Wildlife copro by Love Nature, Smithsonian Channel, ARTE, BBC- & Screen- Scotland)
- Pompeii Rising (A €1.6 Mn Copro from France’s Gedeon Productions)
- The Siege of Mecca (ARTE, NDR-Germany, PBS International)
- Letters from Baghdad (Successful theatrical run + BBC)
- The Cleaners (Sundance finals for a US$1.3 Mn investigative documentary from Berlin)
- Japan from Above (NHK, Arte, Voyage + others share €1.5 Mn budget by Gedeon)
- The Beatles: Eight Days A Week (Ron Howard-directs a $10 Mn +/- budget. Unique access.)
- The Fidel Castro Tapes (PBS/NGC International Co-production)
- A Producer at Risk in Siberia (Cold + corruption threaten project)
- In Ebola’s Wake (High-risk production backed by Al Jazeera)
- The Rise of the Killer Virus (Smithsonian, ARTE, CCTV-10 China + others)
- Every Face Has a Name (4K archive conversion creates value for Scandi producers)
- Flight of the Butterflies
- BESA: The Promise (From veteran U.S. factual producer JWM Productions)
- An Aussie / ABBA Love Doc (A $500k Aussie production)
- Dino Stampede (ABC Australia, Smithsonian Networks)
The information is based on interviews with the producers, their network buyers, and outside experts.
The study as a whole provides a unique mosaic of invaluable information about how to create a successful coproductions.
The Study includes practical information, insider data, and links.
The Coproduction Case Study 16-pack is an invaluable resource for producers, network executives, researchers and new entrants to careers in the nonfiction industry.