The light bulb that became Pawn Stars was first switched on in the back of a Vegas van in 2008.
- Pawn Stars became History Channel’s breakout hit show.
- It launched a major US independent production company.
- Leftfield was acquired by ITV Studios (UK) in a deal valued at $450 million. (April 2014)
Source: LE, December 2013
That Las Vegas van was driven by emerging New York-based producer, Leftfield Pictures:
- In 2007, before Pawn Stars, Leftfield produced 1 television hour.
- In 2013: more than 330 hours!!
- And two of the Top 10 unscripted hits on U.S. cable.
What is Leftfield’s secret sauce?
- To find out, we interviewed and re-interviewed Leftfield’s owner Brent Montgomery.
- And we co-produced a panel for the New York State Bar Association with Brent, Leftfield’s super-agent Rob Miller and History’s EP Mary Donahue.
- Each of them shares fresh ‘insider’ Takeaways on the creation of their mega-hit
- Includes the role of now A+E Networks CEO, Nancy Dubuc.
- Plus my data and analysis.
These and other conversations with the team were posted in DocumentaryTelevision.com, and updated for this Study in 2014.
- Discover how History’s network executives, the producer, agent and talent combined to create the Pawn Stars mega-hit.
Contents (45 pages / charts / links to sizzle tapes)
- Before Leftfield: A Bust. Gaining Production Experience
- Pawn Stars: Concept, Talent, Sizzle Tape, Pitch, Green Light, HIT!
- After Pawn Stars: Corporate Structure, Renewals, Pitches, more Green Lights. What Next?
- Leftfield Pictures 2007-2013. Snapshot: Episodes, Hours, Networks
- Leftfield goes International
- The acquisition of Sirens Media and LoudTV creates Leftfield Entertainment
- Leftfield Puts Casting Under a Microscope
- Leftfield acquired by ITV Studios
- Pawn Stars, The Inside Story: How to Create & Sustain a Hit Reality Series (Panel Videos)
- Ten Negotiation Secrets of the Pawn Stars
- Attachments and Links (includes a link to the Pawn Stars sizzle tape, and our coverage of Leftfield’s UK inspiration: Antiques Roadshow)