UNITED SKATES is an exceptional feature documentary that combines pure and often hilarious entertainment with a hard-hitting expose of how race and class force their crushing ways into the most innocent American pastimes — even roller-skating.
For this case study, which is published with Sunny Side of the Doc, I spoke with the co-producer / co-director team of TINA BROWN and DYANA WINKLER.
They share their very enlightening insights into the development, production and distribution of their Tribeca award-winning, and now HBO feature documentary.
- They worked on UNITED SKATES for five years.
- John Legend joined the project as an executive producer.
- They won the 2018 Tribeca Film Festival Audience Award…
- Plus lots of official selections and prizes.
- Earned rave reviews from the likes of Variety.
- And a recent premiere on HBO.
Tina is a fellow Aussie expat, and Dyana comes from Hawaii. Don’t miss their compelling and inspiring stories.
PODCAST #1: TINA BROWN
Listen Here to Tina on the development, production and distribution of UNITED SKATES (25 mins)
PODCAST #2: DYANA WINKLER
Dyana describes the writing and editing process for UNITED SKATES. She shares her experience that women filmmakers still secure funding for their projects at a later stage than their male counterparts.
Dyana Winkler, John Legend, Tina Brown. Source: Getty Images
“The point you make about the story being successful in entertaining audiences while giving them a view on challenging racial issues is important. I think in an era where people feel inundated by cynical views of the world, it’s important to find a way to tell tough stories in a context that inspires hope.” — Cristine Platt Dewey, roco films
- How the United Skates Directors Made the Film Everyone Said Was Impossible. An interview with Dyana and Tina.
- The United Skates website and team
- Their Kickstarter Campaign
- The United Skates Case Study, with development history, the budget, Takeaways and more.
- Plus my Takeaways, explaining why this film captured my attention and admiration.
- And more of my DocumentaryBusiness.com podcasts on the business of the Unscripted business.
“Sunny Side of the Doc is pleased to launch a full-year content partnership with Peter Hamilton’s DocumentaryBusiness.com. Through case studies, podcasts and our conference sessions, we will inspire international documentary professionals with the information they need to create, co-produce and successfully distribute their stories.” Yves Jeanneau, CEO of Sunny Side of the Doc“