Here are the Top 25-rated British Wildlife and Pets/Lifestyle programs in 1H 2020.
- The nostalgic “Land & Country” theme that I described in my Top 100 UK Factual and Top 25 History posts is less prominent in the Natural History category.
- Viewers who love Wildlife enjoy being transported to remote locations that are mostly beyond their reach.
- On the local and comforting side of the spectrum, there are hot Pet shows, including ones that aspire to cover canine psychology.
- And BBC2’s Springwatch / Winterwatch franchises always repeat strongly.
- Primates and Blue Planet Revisited at #1 and #2 are a reminder that Covid is seriously disrupting this year’s scheduled production of Blue Chip Natural History.
- The genre will experience a much-reduced pipeline of premium shows that depend on complex field production in distant habitats.
- To fill the gap, watch out for more and higher quality ‘Backyard Nature‘ programs among featured premieres in 2021-22.
- And for imaginative deep dives into repackaging the Natural History archive.
|Channel||Title||‘000 P 4+||Share|
|2||BBC 1||Blue Planet Revisited||3,942||23.2|
|4||ITV||Paul O’Grady: For the Love of Dogs||2,944||13.1|
|5||BBC 1||Spy in the Wild||2,862||11.3|
|6||BBC 1||Blue Planet II||2,814||18.2|
|7||BBC 1||Attenborough and the Giant Egg||2,261||13.7|
|8||ITV||Tales From the Coast With Robson Green||2,076||8.8|
|10||BBC 1||Penguins – Spy in the Huddle||1,910||14.1|
|11||C4||Walking with Elephants||1,899||8.4|
|12||BBC 2||Earth’s Tropical Islands||1,838||7.5|
|13||ITV||How To Keep Your Dog Happy at Home (photo above)||1,786||8.3|
|14||C4||Spring at Jimmy’s Farm||1,714||8.2|
|15||C5||Dogs Behaving (Very) Badly||1,648||8.7|
|16||BBC 2||Australia: Earth’s Magical Kingdom||1,644||7.3|
|17||BBC 2||Louis Theroux Americas Most Dangerous Pets||1,583||9.3|
|18||BBC 2||The Lake District: A Wild Year||1,525||7.6|
|19||BBC 2||Natural World||1,518||7.1|
|20||ITV||Martin Clunes: My Travels & Other Animals||1,495||8.5|
|21||C4||The Secret Life of the Zoo||1,482||7.6|
|22||BBC 1||Seven Worlds, One Planet||1,449||11.9|
|23||BBC 1||Animal Park||1,402||25.9|
|24||BBC 2||The Lakes with Paul Rose||1,397||8|
|25||BBC 2||Baby Chimp Rescue||1,238||6.6|
Notes on the Data
- The ‘000 P4+’ column refers to viewers 4 years and older in thousands.
- Share refers to the program’s share of television sets in use at that time.
- The data refers to highest single episode in a series.
- The categories come from BARB, and titles are sometimes incomplete.
More on UK Hits and Trends
- See my post listing the Top 100 UK Factual in the COVID Era.
- My UK History Top 25 is published here.
- Read my interview notes with BBC History buyer Simon Young at Sunny Side. He is responsible commissioning 70-80 hours / year.
David Attenborough’s Giant Egg
- Don’t miss my interview notes with BBC History buyer Simon Young at Sunny Side. Includes his insights concerning A House Through Time
- Read the Top 100 UK Documentaries and Lifestyle, 1H 2020
- And the Top 25 UK History programs
- And don’t miss my Sunny Side Interview on Channel 4’s strategy: What do they want? What do they pay?