A welcome new face at MIPDoc was Elizabeth Hendricks North, President of Curiosity Project LLC.
She was in Cannes to promote the ad-free Subscription VOD (SVOD) service CuriosityStream, launched in March to focus on premium factual content.
Elizabeth’s father is Discovery Channel founder and industry legend John Hendricks.
- The CuriosityStream mission is to apply John Hendricks’ vision of “accessible and curated factual programs to the social media generation.”
- It is “the world’s first ad-free, SVOD service that addresses our lifelong quest to learn, explore, and understand.”
- “Our aim is to provide the first and best on-demand video streaming destination that aggregates and curates the world’s best factual content.”
The MIPdoc Interview
Three Pricing Options
- Standard Resolution ($2.99 per month).
- HD ($5.99 per month).
- And later this year: 4K (Around $10.00).
- Unlimited access.
- Via Internet-connected TVs, smartphones, tablets, set top boxes and additional devices.
- Initially in U.S., with plans to be available worldwide over the next five years
Offer at Launch
- Targets ‘knowledge seekers of all ages.’
- 300 +/- hours of original and acquired programming in Year 1.
- New titles added weekly.
- Segments and full interviews from 70+ world experts.
- Covers a broad range of subjects from evolution to rock stars.
- 25 new interviews added each month.
- Content providers include the BBC, NHK, ZED, Terra Noa and Flame.
- Mainly acquisitions at first, with an expanding commitment to original commissions.
- Destination Pluto
- Chopra Love in Action
- Cosmic Front
- Annihilation: Destruction of Europe’s Jews
- Earth: Power of the Planet
“Engaging short-form content, generally less than 8 minutes in length, will comprise a significant part of the library.”
- 2 mins.
- 6-10 mins.
- Plus TV half-hours and hours.
- Steve Burns heads up the programming team for CuriosityStream.
- Steve is a highly-respected industry veteran.
- Richard Sergay is the interview host for Curiosity Studios and senior consultant for partnerships & acquisitions.
- Peter North is EVP for Digital Media Operations.
More on SVOD
More on John Hendricks
- I was honored to work with John Hendricks and his team when the Discovery Channel was a struggling start-up.
- Many entrepreneurs were targeting the documentary niche, but Hendricks had the character and vision to establish trusted partnerships with cable distributors, notably TCI’s John Malone.
- Over 20 years, my consulting engagements with Discovery included the following business plans and due diligence efforts:
- Discovery International, including plans for UK / Europe, Germany, Middle East, Asia and Australia.
- Discovery Home Video & Publishing (with John DiGiacomo)
- Discovery Productions
- Health Channel
- Discovery Television Music (with Tom Porter)
- I’m grateful to John Hendricks for creating a wonderful stream of engagements that spanned decades.
- I wish John, Elizabeth and CuriosityStream lots of success!